Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Paris Underground

I've always had an urge to explore the underground of Paris. I've been asking all my friends about it in hopes of getting invited to a party or event down there, but no such luck. So I had to do it the tourist way by visiting the Catacombs, a large underground cemetary dating back to the 1700s. I waited for over an hour in a long line. My feet were frozen by the time it was my turn, but my enthusiasm was still strong. After descending 184 narrow, winding stairs, you walk through a small shaft that took years to chisel out in the 1700s. Immediately, you can smell death.
Over 6 million people are buried here. But they're not in coffins. Instead, their bones are stacked amongst each other in a delibrate, artistic way. I wondered whose job it was to create these walls of bones that seem to go on forever. Did they enjoy their work?
I also wondered how all the bodies were decomposed before being stacked together. I know some of the bones came from other cemetaries, allowing enough time for flesh to melt. But many people were buried here right after death. My mind wanders as I explore the caves.
I have a sudden urge to touch the bones, although it is clearly forbidden. So I skim my finger gently across a skull. Pretty smooth. Feeling a little more bold, I gently lift up a leg bone. A chill takes over my body and I realize it's best to just leave it alone. So I continue the 2km walk through the never-ending vallée du mort.
I got my fix of the Paris Underground, but I'm still going to seek out those legendary Cataphiles, the local Parisians who explore the uncharted, where no tourist has gone before.

No comments:

Post a Comment