Tuesday, October 25, 2011

D'uomo

The D'uomo is a gothic cathedral in the center of Milan. It is amazingly beautiful with intricate artwork and scultpures adorning its walls. It took centuries to build and I can see why. Inside a mass is in progress, complete with the petite grey haired priest spewing out his sermon in Italian. Since I can't understand him, I join the many tourists who stick to the perimeter of the massive church. There are several mummified Popes that lay still under the ornate stain-glass windows.
Outside, the piazza is bustling with people. I'm shocked because it's a Sunday and most places in Europe shut down on the day of the Lord. But here, the shops and restaurants are thriving. A large wall in the middle of the plaza catches my attention. On it are hundreds of leaflets and signs depicting political messages. It seems to me this ancient site is a place of modern importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment