Friday, October 21, 2011

Cimiteri Cittadini-Milano

I just arrived in Milan and had an hour to kill so I just followed my feet. I found myself drawn to a large ornate building in the distance. I entered to find a massive cemetery full of magnificent sculptures and hallways full of tombstones. I noticed the coincidence that I have been exploring and thinking a lot about death lately. I don't know whether it's because Halloween is right around the corner or because I am thematically exploring the cycles of life in my work (including death and rebirth.) Whatever the reason, I enjoyed comparing the differences with these individual tombs to that of the massive grave that is the Paris Catacombs.

Many of the tombs had pictures of who lies within. I was most specifically drawn to the graves of babies, there were many one year olds that didn't make it because of the lack of proper science in the 1800s. Then there were the huge mausoleums with incredible sculptures of crying angels, fallen men and Jesus on the cross. It made me realize how money, or the lack thereof, plays a role even in death. Whoever is buried within these walls must be wealthy. Many of them happened to be named Guiseppe. I find it interesting how culture represents itself in the way we deal with the dead and in Milan, as in life, they spare no expense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment