Friday, October 28, 2011

Lavazza Exhibition: Triennale Milan

I recently visited the Triennale museum in Milan and was blown away by the Lavazza exhibit. I stepped inside a movie theatre and was immediately struck by the dream like music that accompanied unique, somewhat sexual digital images that flew across a 3 dimensional movie screen. A coffee cup was stratigically placed throughout. What is this? I didn't know, but I knew I liked it. A few minutes later, the projection stopped and I was guided through a vagina like hole in the bottom of the screen that I didn't notice until now. I felt like Alice going down the rabbit hole.

I discovered a labyrinth of images accompanied with a story of a girl named Valerie. The images were striking, often overtly sexual and always with a coffee cup. I still had no idea what Lavazza was, but I liked it even more. What struck me most of all was the story of Valerie, an aimless 20 year old who decides to travel the world. “We don’t know if we’ll be back some day, if we’ll be stronger or any wiser. Or maybe just crazier” Characters weave in and out in classic dream fashion. "Let’s stop by the side of the road and wait for destiny to decide whether or not we deserve a traveling companion." Destiny indeed serves up the best, most interesting companions it can find.

Emotion struck me as I read the following passage. "Somebody who travels without a destination is actually standing still, and one day that person will say that the long voyage around the world has taught him that you learn more without ever leaving home." I am Valerie. And in this moment I long for home. And coffee.

"The time has come to take account. When the journey grows too long, it’s no longer a voyage: it’s an escape. Hours and hours aboard airplanes, moving from one time zone to the next, circling the world, and all in vain. The best thing to do? Strap on a parachute and merrily leap out into the open air, perhaps with a little cup of coffee in one hand." Although my journey abroad is not yet fulfilled, I know that when I do go home, it will be time. And as I finish the last row of this story mixed with photography from the most prolific photographers of my time, I feel like I have just lived a lifetime.

So what is Lavazza? What is this amazing exhibit that I wholly experienced? Lavazza is a European coffee company celebrating it's 20 year anniversery. This was one big advertisment! What a genius marketing campagin indeed. One that is amazingly artistic and actually makes you feel something. Needless to say, I got an espresso at the Triennale cafe immediately after. I enjoyed every sip as my imagination wandered onto the next stop of my own personal journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment