Monday, December 26, 2011

Joyeux Noel!

Celebrating Christmas in France was a wonderfully delicious experience. Their traditions are pretty much the same as in the States; Christmas tree, nativity scenes, presents, family, and lots of food and drinks. But their cuisine is second to none and that's what makes their celebrations distinctly different.
We had a four course meal on Christmas Eve and another on Christmas day. Each time we started with whiskey drinks and an amazing aray of appetizers that were out of this world. I've now had foie gras two different ways. The second course consisted of sea-food; oyesters, shrimp and salmon. Then there's the elaborate main course, paired with red wine of course. The deserts are inevitably addictive. We had a type of crème brûlée, ice cream cake, chocolates and a yummy treat I've never seen before; nuts on an almond paste. Of course all paired with champagne. My mouth waters just thinking about it all. I felt like I should owe a hefty restaurant bill, I've never had such amazing home cooked food in my life! We were too full from dinner to make it to any midnight mass, so we enjoyed more desert and champagne by the fireplace instead. I could get used to Christmas in France. Bonne fête à tous!

No comments:

Post a Comment