Monday, December 5, 2011

Exploring the Côte d'Azur

Although I've been to the French Riveria many times and have now lived here for many months, I continue to find new places to explore. With endless towns to visit, I wonder if I'll ever see everything!
I started the day at Saint Jean Cap Ferrat, a little known place that is almost an island but just barely connects to the mainland. Watching the waves crash and roll onto the beautiful shore, I spied a lone fisherman with a friendly disposition. There is a narrow path that goes around the entire town and as I followed it, I found that each step made me more and more relaxed.
Before heading to the next town, I visited a little church on top of the hill. Although the church was nothing to see, there was an amazing sculpture that was taller than the building itself.
The next stop was Eze, a quant village that sparked my imagination of the years past. This town is built into a hilltop and I immediately fell in love with the cobblestone everywhere. The town has a very artsy and elegant vibe with unique caves of art, sweet cafes and amazing resorts like none other.
 This town was popular among some great people such as the Swiss royal family and Neitzsche himself. There is a street named after Neitzsche that is incredibly romantic in every sense of the word. He is said to have walked that way often, deep in thought.
As the sun was setting, there was an impromtu stop at Fort Boron. This place has an amazing energy, probably from all the people that gave their life protecting this amazing coast. I longed to go inside, but it appears that it is never open to the public. The outside is worth a look anyway.
What a wonderful day of exploring indeed~

1 comment:

  1. Looks gorgeous!!!! Especially the caves of art! I wanna go!!!!!

    ReplyDelete